Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Network Troubleshooting

My Internet stopped working yesterday but today I was successfully able to troubleshoot it. I called tech support at my ISP (Internet provider), and he helped me get the Internet working on my Windows laptop, but it still didn't work on my main Linux desktop. He suggested that I upgrade the firmware of my modem, and search a Linux knowledgebase to find out how to restore my Internet connectivity. I then uninstalled a tool called Flask, which I'd installed yesterday right before my Internet stopped working, and that restored my Internet but it was very slow. I then called Erjon at tech support, telling him in a voice mail about my success with restoring the Internet (but it was slow), and that I had the wrong modem version (3.2 as opposed to 1). He then called me back and I told him I had both wired and wireless connections enabled on my Linux desktop, and he suggested I try to narrow down the problem to either wired or wireless, and suggested I buy a new modem. I then disabled the wired Internet connection on my desktop and that solved the problem of slow Internet, and then I emailed Erjon about my troubleshooting victory.

I solved another network-related problem today, after fixing my Internet. I was unable to access the Flask-based web server on my desktop from my laptop (even after reinstalling Flask once my Internet was working again), but using Google I found out I had to use something called iptables to fix that problem. Then I had to use Google again to find out how to make my changes to iptables permanent, so they would work after system shutdown and restart. Now everything's working beautifully. I was depressed yesterday and spent most of the day in bed, but today I wasn't depressed. Tomorrow I'm going to continue learning about Flask, which I will use in the process of implementing web-based server-side Python code for my Pixtrium.com project. I had a late dinner this evening so I won't have an evening snack. Bedtime is in one hour. Mission accomplished: my Pixtrium project is back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment